View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Remember that the original 930 was designed and ran on Dino oil (didn't it?) so it stands to reason that a good grade Dino oil should be ok for the car now, without guaranteed coking the oil.
I think your question regards the reformulation of the modern oils by removing the ZDDP (zinc) protection with negative effects on cam lobes and rockers which is a separate issue from coking which is heat/temp related.
I think it is pretty cost prohibitive to spend 13 quarts at $6.50 a pop for synthetic oil, my bet is run Castrol 20W50 at $2.00 quart and change it more often than you would in a normally aspirated car, let the turbo cool down by running it easy the last few miles before you stop and idle it for a minute or 2 before shuttign down.
Until I see some real testing data posted on the forum of back to back testing on real 930 engines and valve trains, it is all opinion and speculation in my book.
This debate will never end.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 05-14-2008, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)