View Single Post

I looked at a couple of pictures of the car under construction with the aluminum bumper on minus the bumper cover and remembered how the mounting bracket connects to the bumper. The C2 uses a long (10 or 12 mm diameter) bolt that installs from the top of the bumper and screws into threads at the bottom. The C2 bumper shock has a tube welded on that fits in the bumper which the bolt runs through.

What we did was to take a couple pieces of 1/2 inch pipe and cut them a bit smaller than the inside measurement of the bumper. Those were welded onto the fabricated bracket vertically and fit inside the bumper like the original. I had to cut a bit more off the pipe and use spacers to achieve the correct height and alignment. It lets you know how much work goes into a producton car during design and development so that all the pieces will fit properly.

We were not concerned with weight as this car was for PCA prepared stock and needed to meet the prescribed weight and front to back ratios. Rather than steel aluminum could be used if saving weight is a big deal but if that is the case a light weight bent tube could be fabricated to serve as a bit of protection. The C2 bumper is substantial in size and the area it covers.

As for the bumper cover it is not fiberglass but is made of a poly material that I can't remember the name of. It is much lighter than any fiberglass plus it is flexible which increases the longivity. It dies require a flex agent in the paint but any body shop is aware of that as almost all bumper covers are made similiar.

The rear uses a similiar tube to connect the strut to the bumper.

Jim
Old 05-14-2008, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)