View Single Post
Michael Delaney wanna-be

I can tell you from fact that most of the lemon law buybacks when I was at the dealer were bogus in nature. I used to manage a service department for a SoCal Chevy dealer. The factory sees it this way most of the times: It costed $40k to do the buyback and $50k to fight it. Simple math....do the buyback. Most of the time, the clients either didn't like the vehicle after they bought it or could not afford the payments. There was usually nothing wrong with them.

Example: Customer with a van with a gas gauge that swang from full to empty when stopping. GM sent us the van to check out as a last resort. They could never duplicate it nor could we. We brought the customer in and guess what he was doing? He was shifting into neutral (automatic) when he came to a stop and that took the computer's buffer out of the equation. He knew he was doing it to fool the system to.

Example: Customer with a brand-new Vette complained and had it towed in multiple times that it wouldn't start. We tested it over the span of a week and probably started it 2-30 times a day. Guess what? He confided with the techs that he really wanted a Tahoe but his mom bought him a Vette.

I don't think that "lemon law" cars are branded as salvage. As for salvage cars...I'd run as fast as you can away from them.
C.R.A.P. Gruppe Member #7
Old 05-16-2008, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)