View Single Post

I though I lost the above post!!!

After a mild tantrum I try to retype everything above sorry for duplicate info...

Dude, that sucks. I wonder if you donít have a delivery problem rather than a fuel reglator problem. Itís hard to say without being there. I donít know which FPR you have but if itís a stock 3.2 carrera manifold and fuel rail, it may be a carrera FPR. If so, 37 psi may not be too far off. Not sure but it seems about right for the early motronic cars. Checking the part number and looking up the specs would confirm if it comes to that. Do you still have 2 pumps? One in near the front near the steering rack and one in front of the left rear tire? If so they are most likely CIS 930 pumps. I would first make sure they both run. If one pump quits on a 930 itíll barely run, but it may not be as sensitive in your case. CIS uses a portion of the volume and pressure created by the pumps to control the mixture. It also runs at much higher pressure. Your car would likely run better on one pump than a cis car. Make sure the front one is running for sure. If not, the rear pump can make enough noise for both of them so pull the metal skid plate and check it for power as well. They each have their own relay in the trunk. If they both run but are both noisy, they are most likely starved for fuel or are fighting a stopped up fuel filter.(not common given the size of the filter, provided itís a 930 filter) In that case itís probably a problem in the bottom of the tank. Either the screen that screws in is stopped up (common) or the orifice from the screen to the outlet of the tank that feeds the front pump is stopped up (not as common but possible). If so hopefully itís just crud and not rust. It may be easy to check the flow rate of the pumps as you would in a CIS 930. I think itís 1100cc in 30 seconds or so. Not too sure but someone out there knows. Itís important to check the flow on the return side as it flows back to the tank. This is so you are checking the flow under pressure which requires more effort from the pumps. At this point feel free to hum that bowie/queen song to yourself as it makes it more fun. If they fail to flow test, carefully remove the hose from the tank to the front pump and see how fuel flows from the tank. If it looks like it needs flomax, youíll need to drain the tank and remove the 22mm? allen plug in the bottom. This holds the screen that may be covered in crud or rust. Also be sure to clean the outlet of the tank w/ the hose off and the screen/plug out. You can easily remove the fuel sending unit to look at the inside of the tank if you think it might be rusty. You may want to get a new gasket if you do. If you wind up needing a fuel pump, you should consider going to a single pump designed for EFI, of course youíll have plumbing to consider

Last edited by rsrmike; 05-20-2008 at 07:51 PM..
Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)