Thread: Launching a 930
View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The performance potential for these cars vs the 911 is masked by horse power figures.

This became a real eye-opener for a few folks one afternoon during a dyno testing session for my exhaust systems. One of the cars on the dyno was a 997 that put down right at 300WHP. My engine in it's current configuration put down 315WHP. When the comments came about the 911 whooping up on my turbo I pointed to the torque curve. My turbo put out 60% more torque than the 911 at peak HP and mountains more at 3000rpm.

To cushion the blow I maximize the off-boost throttle response to launch the car and then use that torque band to my advantage.
Check the operation of the BOV and the throttle bypass valve so you don't fall out of boost between shifts. The inertia of the heavy stock flywheels helps as well. You can also train your right foot to keep the throttle at 3000rpm between shifts so the turbo stays spooled.
Doing these things is not the fastest way off the line but it is consistant and less likely to damage a drivetrain not designed for drag racing.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)