View Single Post
Air Cooled Addict

Tight rack

Hey all!

There's a title that'll get some attention!
I'm in the process of rebuilding my steering rack (along with a-arms bushings and ball joints) and upon partial reassembly of the rack I've noticed that it is pretty hard to get the shaft to move. Before it just flopped from side to side, but now, after replacing the bearings are prescribed by Tim (thanks, sir!), it's seems like it will take a lot more effort to turn. I can't push it by hand and have to place, I'd say, about 20-30 pounds of force on the end to get it to move. But the yoke can be turned by hand using two fingers. I removed the puck and it didn't make a difference. Still very snug. So my questions are:

a) Would installing the rack backwards (switching left and right sides) cause it to get tight against the pinion?

2) Is it supposed to be this tight after replacing the bearings?

The old bearings were in OK shape, but, after 24 years of lefties and righties, maybe they were just thoroughly broken in.

Any advice is appreciated.
'12 Trek X-Cal : American Classic - XT brakes/shifters/derailleurs - carbon goodies
'13 Trek Madone 5.2 stockish
Old 05-25-2008, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)