View Single Post

I find the much-maligned oil level gauge works very well for a general indication of how much oil is in the system, should I sit at a stop light on the level for 30 seconds or more with the oil hot.

I never fill right up, because I'm concerned with it puking out the excess should I run boost for a few miles. So I fill half-way up the stick @ 180-190 degrees and keep an eye on the level, and check it on the stick when it's around the red mark at a hot idle.

I've also noticed that oil (and fuel) consumption is much higher if you tend to do short-ish journeys (10 miles) than if you always run 30-50 miles or more. Guess the proportion of time the motor is fully-warmed in each journey is that much shorter - and that puff of blue smoke on startup is coming from somewhere too...

There's entire belief systems growing up around about how frequently you should change the oil. Many people would already have changed it before 5,000 miles on a car where the turbo shares oil with the motor. Especially if you let the level drop very low (the remaining oil had to work that much harder).

Somewhat counter-intuitively, I seem to recall Charles Navarro (LN Engineering) saying in one of the incredibly long oil threads on the 911 forum that engine wear levels are highest when oil is "worn out" and when it's first added - so changing too frequently may not be a good idea either.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)