View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
Is it worth the risk? Is there any performance benefit?

I wanted to get my headers coated locally to me here in UK. Nobody could do them when I told them how hot they were going to get due to the turbo.
I should've got them done before I had them sent from the USA...
I don't have much faith in getting things done properly by companies here...

Performance benefit....certainly. Turbo spool time is typically decreased by about 50-100rpm or so pending type of turbo and header setup. Biggest gain I ever recorded was a tad over 200rpm sooner, allthough it wasn't a p-car. The biggest benefit is the lower compartment temps as a majority of the heat is retain in the exhaust stream. Header longevity is increased dramatically as well as it keeps a good portion of the heat out of the actual header base material, reducing heat cycle fatigue. It's not going to keep the header lasting forever, but it does extend the typical life of you average race car exhaust header.

As far as exhaust temp being an cause for failure don't think about it. Jethots coatings are rated for well over 2200F and Swains White lightning which is pure ceramic is hgiher than that. The higest recorded EGT I've had here was on a big turbo rotary Rx7 witha 20b triple rotor motor at over 1900F Your average turbo flat siz might see 1600 on a good tune. Nothing to worry about.

The biggest thing is that the part is properly prepped(media blasted and bone dry) and that the company doing the coating knows what the hell they're ctually doing. Typically if I'm building a car for a customer and it needs to look pretty it's JetHot. If it's a balls out race car, Swain is the way I go.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)