View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
Hey I made it to lucky 13,000 miles on my engine rebuild without leaking a drop!!! Now I've noticed that just this morning, my chain housing covers are beginning to weep ever so slightly!!!!! NEVER FAILS!!!!!!!
Did you install the chain case cover gaskets dry or with some type of sealer?
Lots of people put them in dry but I like smearing a real thin layer of hylomar on paper gaskets like those. It can't hurt unless you over do it, and hylomar never dries. It stays gooey anfd sticky forever it seems.

Gas doesn't touch it either so it's good in mechanical fuel pumps too, but it cleans off metal parts or your hands easily with laquer thinner on a rag.

One of the best Porsche engine builders in the world, Kevin Jeanette of Gunnar Porsche Racing even uses it to seal the case halves instead of loctite case sealer.

I believe hylomar was origonally designed by Rolls Royce for the P51 Mustang 12 cylinder merlin engine, that was also used in turbocharged form in unlimited offshore powerboat racing until the turbine engines completely took over.

I've even seen hylomar in tubes from the UK for around $5 @ Harbor Freight tools in the automotive isle...
Old 05-29-2008, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)