View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 930 View Post
The tuner is the key, not the system. I believe that even the smartest DIY guy who's not very experienced at tuning will spend huge amounts of time getting their car tuned right, and will suffer lots of frustration (and risk serious consequences) in the process. They may also spend lots of money on inefficient use of dyno time, such that it would be cheaper just to hire it done in the first place. And without dyno tuning, I wouldn't trust that the tune will be optimized for power or safety, and as such, I would be hesitant to run the car hard (as on the track) for fear of damaging the engine.
I also agree tuner is probably one of the most important factor here.

Speaking from my own experience - I had no experience, nor expertise, in tuning car prior to my own conversion. There was LOTS of pain & it took me a LONG time, but I was into DIY and wanted to learn how it works, so it was a GREAT experience. Risk can be managed IMHO - we all have a sense of what timing needs to be. Using a WBO2, I made sure I started rich then tune it down. The engine is more robust than I thought. So it CAN be done if you are that tuner

I had been using her on track for >1 year and have NOT gone on dyno yet. (I'm putting her on dyno next week ) I am sure I have left HP on the table, but she did not blow up and I didn't feel I need to turn on rest of the features to gain something yet. Talking to a few tuners / mechanics locally - they also agree that tuning on dyno to start is good, but you'll still want to data log some real driving then do fine tuning.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)