View Single Post

Turbo / wastegate issue

Good afternoon. My "new" purchase (I know, I know, I have to post pictures - I will shortly) - a bone-stock '89 930 cab - sat in the seller's garage for the majority of the past 11 years. My mechanic spent the last 6 weeks replacing virtually all belts, hoses, gaskets and seals (no, he did not crack open the engine case), replaced all the shocks, and installed a center-spring clutch disk. The turbo and wastegate were deemed to be in great shape.

I'm leak free now and VERY happy.

Anyway, here's what's going on - I live about 10 minutes from the freeway. By the time I get to the freeway the car is sufficiently warmed up so I'll put my foot down on the freeway on ramp wanting the turbo to spool in second, third, and fourth gears. Well, there is no spool. Weirdly (if that's a word), after I drive for about 15-20 minutes trying to spool the turbo, it finally spools and the rest of the drive is a blast - perfectly normal spooling.

This has been the pattern for the half dozen times I have taken the car out since getting back last week.

Have any of you had similar experiences? Is it simply re-checking the turbo and the wastegate (and being prepared to replace as needed)? I think it is nothing more than this, but I was wanting to tap into this board's wealth of knowledge, experience, and suggestions.

Any thoughts you have are welcomed. Thanks.

Dan

Current ride
'89 930 Cab - Bone stock, 21K miles, VIN # 584 out of a production run of 600

Former rides
'97 993tt
'89 930 3.4l (Ruf BTR kit, US installed)
'86 Carrera N/A

'05 WRX Sti (thinking it would replace the three "Former rides" - boy, was I wrong!!)
Old 05-30-2008, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)