View Single Post
Super Moderator

Garage
If you ride a lot, you can appreciate the difference between a $500 bike vs. a $1000 bike vs. a $3000 bike.

Like anything else, there is a law of diminishing returns. But the difference in quality and longevity between lower and upper end frames and components is very real.

Since you're in the NW, you might want to ponder discs. I don't like them (I'm old school and like simplicity in the components), but in wet/sloppy they will work when others won't. Since I'm in the dry it is a non-issue.

If you want the best bang for your buck, find someone who knows bikes and look used. I frankly wouldn't buy a used aluminum frame (I wouldn't buy a new one either, but that's another rant), but most probably would. I think that getting older top of the line components is a great value. The technology leaps have been smaller over the past decade imho. The advantage is the top components are lighter but more importantly, will take more abuse.

God knows I've done plenty of miles solo on the trails, but there is something to be said for at least riding with one other person. If you're doing serious trails, ***** happens and it can be good to have a buddy, especially if you aren't a great mechanic. I used to ride with enough tools to fix damn near anything. Then again we would go pretty deep into the middle of nowhere, so if you couldn't get yourself out, you were toast.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)