View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
I just did mine - took about an hour total. But I have to say the factory way is more an art if you do it correctly - it takes a bit of experience. 2000 miles after the rebuild, nearly every one was loose and took about an 1/8 to 1/4 turn to bring them back.
Hi Don,
I'm curious about this statement you made about valves being loose after a rebuild? If they are new valves they should seat in and the lash should get smaller after a new build. Can you explain how they would get loose? I usually gap mine loose for the first 1000 miles or so to take this into account. Can you postulate how they would get loose as opposed to tight? Valves in general should tighten rather than loosen over their life, unless they burn, bend, warp or something else. You're certainly not the first guy to mention this and I'm just curious what the mechanism of loosening is. I can come up with mechanisms for tightening, just at a loss how they would loosen(Lash) under normal wear.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 06-04-2008, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)