Thread: engine reseal?
View Single Post

What are you referring to as rear of the motor? The end toward the the front of the car or the end with the fan?

-How many miles on it and do you have any service history?

-The price seems reasonable if the engine is coming out, however you may not need the engine out if it's just a leak from one of several places such as:
-VC gaskets
- Oil return tubes
- oil seal at the turbo oil pump
- oil thermostat o-ring, breather gasket, and temp sender on top rear of the motor
- one of the lines from that pump to one of the tanks
- the turbo oil line its self
- Cam tower oil lines
- breather hoses
- and my favorites... the crank seal and/or intermediate shaft cover gasket

On the other hand you may have leaking cam towers where they seal to the head, in addition to leaking chain boxes. If this is where you're leaks are then the $2k is a bargain if the mechanic is competent! Be prepared to spend more though because "while you're in there you may as well"....

At the bare minimum if the engine has to come out I would do the above, inspect heads and do valve-job if needed, and ad a clutch!

Again, you do need to be more descriptive of where our leak is.... here's a fun example of "my engines leaking and my mechanic say it needs to com out for a rebuild".

- Turn out to be a leaking rear crank seal. However, as the motor runs and the car is driven the fan has enough pull to draw the leaking oil up and distributes it across the top of the motor under the fan shroud where you can't see it. Of course over time it builds up, burns and drips down all along the side of the case etc... When you stop and/or turn the car off it sits there and smolders like a smoking gun!

So, where did you say the leak was/is?

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)