View Single Post

OEM 930 engine has hogh boost treshold per definition and not suitable to slower courses with lot's of tight bends. I say "boost treshold" as people mistakenly mix lag with boost treshold. You can have near instant spoolup but high boost treshold and vice versa.

Lag is connected to shaft intertia, boost treshold is determined by turbo/engine sizing.

If you really want better throttle response at lower revs, I recomend using hotter cams (to smear torque curve higher up the range) and maybe a more modern turbo.

Garrett GT35 would be a perfect drop-in and it has noticeably better response than K27 variants, HF or not.

If we push issue further, you could dump the ignition before treshold to spool up the turbo quicker and adjust cams for more overlap...in most extreme case you can use anti-lag and have instant boost, but EGT's usually soar so it must be used with caution.

To round it up: there is little to be done with OEM bits and pieces. First step in my book would be to swap KKK hardware for modern Garrett pieces and run hotter cams. After that, there are plethora of more or less pricey things you can do. But you'll never make a good auto-X:er out of 930.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)