View Single Post
"I wuz the liquor..."

When I think of all the things I've removed, rebuilt, modified, changed etc, from my once 100% correct and pristine 930, I don't think I'll ever be able to sell it to a potential buyer not familiar with with 930s and their "culture". Everything I've done to my car, has only improved its reliability, performance, and thus my ownership experience. An unfamiliar outsider coming to the table and reviewing my receipts folder (bursting with notes and documentation) would probably feel a little trigger shy - and that's not a bad thing. It's best to be cautious. There is nothing cheap about 930 engine repairs. Luckily some things can be quantified by driving, visual inspection, common sense, and a PPI performed by an outside, unbiased shop. A hot leak down and compression test might put your mind at ease. For the record, I did a complete engine rebuild at 42,000 miles because the oil leaks were just too much for me to bare, and the car was nickel and diming me to death. I felt it necessary to draw a line in the sand and start over. Other than my wallet being several pounds lighter, I have no regrets.

Your case, specifically, sounds typical. Again, if the PPI checks out, I wouldn't be too worried. Maybe the one mod that makes me most nervous to a stock engine is the 1.0 bar boost spring and/or manual boost controller. Look for evidence of these as you pour over the details. Even with an excellent car, you should still keep some cash in your war chest for the unknown...they all need something sorted!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-20-2008, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)