View Single Post

I wouldn't rat-tail those holes. Your choice...

Here's how it's done properly, not cheap: http://www.vehiclecraft.com/Brakes/VCI911_2_964.htm

Your biggest issue with the early brakes is the rotors anyway - and you should run 28mm rotors with those calipers. At least on 911's, this requires a spacer to clear the A-arm, although there's a guy on the 911 forum who got away with notching it slightly IIRC - don't know if that's an issue on the Turbo Carerra.

I'd say nix on the S calipers on the rear.

Your best bang-for-the-buck bolt-on upgrade is 3.2 rotors and calipers front and rear, I think. My shop prepares many track cars - they say it's nowhere near good enough for the track, but it seems perfectly adequate for use on the street if you're sane. Depends on you and what you do with the car.

Anything has to be an improvement over the stuff you have on there. But keep it in a box if the rest of the car is original (it's got little re-sale value separately anyway).

I never drove my car with the original 'S' calipers, but the PO tracked it like that (he tracked Bimmers with chocolate brakes, and was young and brave). He says the 3.2 upgrade was/is a tremendous improvement.

I would personally go with the Brembo GTP-L kit or Instant-G's 993/996 TT setup, I think. I decided this after I bought a set of Boxster calipers, naturally...
Old 06-25-2008, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)