View Single Post

Garage
More power from a distributor than Coil packs/DFU's?

Well, it looks like i am headed for a new stand alone engine management system. The TEC1 is basically 'untunable' without the original fuel maps according to guys at both Clewett and Electromotive. Even if we had the original map, the TEC1 would limit any serious tuning. From all of my research, it's a relic from the early days of aftermarket EFI that needed to go sooner or later. Anyhoo, i have been researching and comparing the various systems out there, from Link to Spectre, MS, etc, and i have heard something interesting from two different reps - that more power may be obtained from replacing the coil packs with a stock distributor vs DFU's. The only advantage with DFU's was in twin plug engines, mainly with cost. I thought that the one of the advantages of these systems was TOTAL management of spark, timing, etc. I thought that mechanical distributors, while excellent, were nowhere near as efficient as coil packs/DFU's in managing spark. Am i missing something here?
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 06-28-2008, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)