View Single Post
"I am the liquor..."

I think the differences (advantages and/or disadvantages, depending on your stand in the argument) is not so much DFUs Vs. a traditional dizzy, it's inductive ignition Vs. CDI (Capacitive Discharge). You can obtain CDI either a traditional dizzy triggering CDI boxes, or something more modern - coilpacks with crank or cam sensor managed with an ECU of some sort. M&W is an excellent example of a "modern" CDI system.

I just removed the inductive Electromotive XDi twin plug ignition from my car and went with the JB Racing 12 point dizzy and MSD CDI boxes. I do think my engine picked up a bit more torque on the low end, and it starts even easier than before, but I did like the ability to dial in an ignition curve and retard the timing via MAP sensor...fuctionality my XDi provided. It's all about the compromises...I'm happy I made the change.

Also keep in mind I'm CIS, in your case it might be even easier to make the change to a more modern CDI system, in conjunction with whatever fuel management you decide on...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 06-28-2008 at 09:52 AM..
Old 06-28-2008, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)