View Single Post

Garage
Oil draining into headers after turning off my motor

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if other people have similar problems as I have with my heavily modded 930 motor. Today, I took the car out for an hour long ride and when I brought it back in the garage and turned the motor off, I can hear the sound of oil cooking inside my headers. The sound is similar to the sound of olive oil on a frying pan but its coming from inside the headers (not the turbo - sounds like its coming from the primary tubes). The popping and hissing inside the headers goes on for about 10 minutes until the headers cool off some.

I would note that I always take care not to turn the motor off when it has been driven hard within say 10 minutes. If Im driving the car and Im getting on boost, I make sure that the engine gets a proper cooldown by driving the last 10 minutes home normally (no on boost driving). When I shut the engine down I usually give it one or two quick revs in the garage (to say 4k) before turning the key off.

So, when I go to start the car, it smokes A LOT of oil for the first 10-15 minutes as all the oil in the headers burns off. Once all the oil is burned off from inside the headers all is well and no more smoking after that. THIS CANT BE NORMAL CAN IT?

The turbo is a Garrett hybrid (non ball bearing) and the headers are Mode. I'm going to bring it into my shop in a week or so to get this bullsh** resolved once and for all.

Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening?

Last edited by GT2EvoGuy; 06-28-2008 at 06:39 PM..
Old 06-28-2008, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)