Thread: My new 930
View Single Post

My new 930

Well guys, I'll be spending some time over on "this side" of the Pelican forums now. I picked up a new-to-me, completely unmolested, 87 930 last week. It has 57K miles. Its only mods are a Permatune ingition and a .8 bar w/g spring.

I had been looking for a few months and was fortunate to find a good one within driving distance. I feared that I'd have to get on a plane to find the right one.

Here she is:

It was a one-owner car for over 20 years and has changed hands through two others in the last year. This thing had a ton of money put into it in the last couple of years. The original owner put $14,000 into it less than 2 years / 2000 miles ago. A complete engine reseal (literally 20 line items on the receipt that are gaskets, o-rings, or seals), piston rings, new turbo, oil lines and return tubes. Obviously, the car had been sitting, developed some leaks, and the scene turned into a huge case of "while you're in there". Money must not have been a problem. I have receipts for new tires, A/C condensor and receiver/dryer, and battery too.

PPI revealed inoperable reverse lights, a turn signal bulb, a plugged windshield sprayer, and sunroof wind noise.

I have to say that I'm amazed at the difference between a 930 and my 85 Carrera that I've had for 5 years (and will soon be for sale ). This thing is a blast to drive and if I'm not carful, I'm going to have to see a plastic surgeon about this s--- eating grin on my face.

My first project will be using the alcohol trick to clean out one of the headlights. One is new and makes the other look terrible. Thanks to these boards for the DIY on headlight cleaning. Next, I need to sort out the sunroof. It doesn't leak, but there's the windnoise that the PPI revealed as well as an ameteurish attempt of replacing the velvet seal which looks like crap (probably related).

Here are the sisters in the garage. What a beautiful image....

'85 911 Targa - sold
Old 06-29-2008, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)