View Single Post
Administrator

Judging from these pictures, it just looks like a long list of compromises. A truly 'neither-nor' vehicle. It looks lower than the BMW SUV, which was probably done in the name of handling -- but that only makes it look like an Audi estate wagon with a Porsche-inspired kit-car nose. The headlights also look like there are maybe two camps at Porsche design, and that they ended up morphing both extremes.

Same with the back. Somebody wanted a hatchback, like a VW, and somebody wanted to 'preserve' the fastback line of the 911 line. It ended up being an ugly combinaion of both.

Is it an inspiring design, from any angle? Not that I can see. I hate to say it, but the BMW one looks better. Most of the Range Rovers look better. The Lexus looks better. If I were a family man who needed to get an SUV to please the wife, but wanted something with a sports-car feel, I wouldn't pick the Cayenne -- at least based on looks.

The performance numbers are pretty good, for a station wagon. But jeez, I know Porsche marketing has its theories, but who is supposed to get excited about this, exactly?

What is it they're looking to do with their company? I mean, more power to them, whatever that is (I've got mine, already). But... what's the point?

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 03-05-2002 at 01:47 PM..
Old 03-05-2002, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)