View Single Post

Good, bad, or indifferent. three observations:

1. This will be purchased by "off road wannabees", and most will never see anything but pavement.

2. Porsche may be in on the waning days of the SUV craze. These suicide machines will be with us for a while yet, and they will really be dangerous when they get so old that anyone can buy a used one, ignore it mechanically, and become a real danger to themselves and others. Ever see a right front brakeline "repaired" with a small Vise Grip? I did...ON A MOTOR HOME!! (I was in Phoenix getting emergency repairs done to my 944 at a Midas outlet and the manager said "Ya wanna see something scary?")

3. Cost alone may kill it in the long run, not only initial cost, but ongoing maintenance.If their "engineering" is as iffy as it is on their automobiles, there are long range problems on the far horizon. Only time will tell. Before everyone gets "uptight", I am referring to the fact that Porsche is used to building quirky machines that thrive on constant attention and have definite maintenance problems that many other vehicles simply do not have. Durability is NOT a Porsche strong suit IF the vehicle is not given constant attention. Folks want a "start and forget" SUV; not one that needs (under warranty) four figure upkeep on a specified basis to keep the warranty in effect

Flame away, guys...If I want a heavy hauler, I'll buy a Ford pickup!!

Cheers!!

Bob S. (Happy to borrow son-in-law's pickup when necessary to haul really big stuff from Home Depot) Would you believe that a VW Passat with the rear seat down will carry ten (eight) foot long 2 x 4s and still close the trunk? Or seven bags of Redimix concrete without a whimper?

Pfffftttt..I don't NEED SUVs, baby.......
Old 03-05-2002, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)