View Single Post

Garage
Finally, confirmation of what we already knew: the Cayenne is Porsche's El Camino.

In my humble opinion, it looks as though they hastily developed the Cayenne based on a concept sketch that should have been aborted mid-sketch. It's a timid attempt by Porsche to produce something they don't really need to produce, and it shows.

There is nothing about the car, from the wheels to the A-pillars, that is inspired. I'm not going to say it's a missed opportunity because I'm one of those purists who didn't want Porsche to tarnish their own image with this car in the first place.

But for more open-minded Porsche enthusiasts, it's probably a missed opportunity. But like the El Camino, it will sell, and nobody will be able to work out why; they'll never be taken off-road, just as most El Caminos have never had more than shopping bags sliding up and down their rear trays.

The Cayenne is just a novelty car, and enough insane people will buy it to make it one of those inexplicable automotive success stories.

I wonder what the boys at Ferrari think.

Matt Holcomb
1974 911 Carrera 2.7 Euro
1975 Mercedes-Benz 280SE
Dedicated Homepage
Engine Rebuild Homepage
Porsche Owners Gallery Profile
Pelican Gallery Profile

Last edited by Matt Holcomb; 03-06-2002 at 03:04 AM..
Old 03-06-2002, 02:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)