View Single Post

So many people on this board think that making a premium SUV will have a negative effect on the image of Porsche. I don't see why at all - it's an expensive, exclusive, desirable (to the target market, not the church mouse types that moan) high performance product. Whether the world needs another SUV is irrelevant. The world WANTS another SUV so Porsche has made this product and hopefully it will allow them to remain independent and continue to crank out supercars that I will aspire to and race cars that will conquer the circuits. I think Porsche would have done much more damage had they produced a model below the Boxster

Having said that, it does look bloody ugly to my eyes. That light treatment that works for the 996 looks plain stupid on the car and so does the clumsy arrangement of the intakes. The rear lights also make the car look very bland from the back and there is no flair in the whole design and I think it looks dated and will soon be outdated.

The best looking SUV to my eyes is the Mercedes GST concept which set for production in 2003

I don't think Porsche will sell many cars once this baby is in production no matter how well the Cayenne drives. The merc will beat the cayenne's power (5.5 v8 360bhp and supercharged 5.5 v8 470bhp) and also offer a 6sp auto like the cayenne.

I hope in pans out for Porsche the way they planned. They have stiff competition in this sector. Merc GST aside, they are also competing with the BMW X5 (possible), the Merc ML (Porsche is better imo), the Range Rover (it's much slower than the Cayenne), Merc s class, BMW 7 and Audi avantissimo.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)