View Single Post

I can finally ad something to the knowledge base of this board...

I just tore into my front suspension this last weekend. Since I was in there itis struck me so I thought I'd pull the rack and check it out. It's a pretty simple device so not much to say *but* that be careful when you pull everything apart - the pinion bearings up in the top of the rack (not behind the access covers) are loose needle bearings.

They stayed in the race just fine until I took everything apart and started spraying degreaser into the housing to clean it up... the degreaser melted the grease and all of the little needle bearings came out and (luckily) fell into my parts tray and not on the floor and under the garage door. Be forewarned...

I consulted with a machine shop friend who assured me they are fine for reuse... just dap grease on your finger and set them back in one by one. I finalized the procedure by 'packing' grease in there and rotating them with my pinky finger.

The rest of this is a pretty easy process - very glad I did it.

(My bearings were fine so I did not replace them.)

Here's a photo after cleanup - the needle bearings exist in the center top shaft staring at you in the face right now...

Sorry - I forgot to count the little buggers for posterity.
'78 SC Wide Body, '81 Engine. M&K 1in2 Out, Carrera Sways, ER F&R rear monoballs, ER control arm bearings, ER spring plate bearings, turbo tie-rods, ER strut brace, Tarret Drop links, Bilstein custom-valved shox, Rebel Racing bump-steer kit, 22mm F, 28mm R TBs. Rebuilt calipers, new wheel bearings.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)