View Single Post

Mark:

I can't say for sure what your problem may be... investigation is in order.

I pulled my rack by taking out the clamp bolt/nut holding the steering rack vertical shaft in the smugglers box. There is another clamp that holds a rubber bushing below that, that I also had to loosen up to pull the rack free. On that clamp I couldn't get enough access to get both hex head bolts off, so I took one out completely and loosened the other emough to wriggle the rack free. I already had the crossmember and the tie-rods out from below - it just pulls-out after that.

Putting it back in will require two people, one to guide up from below and another to make the shaft connection at the coupling.

If I were you, I'd check-out for any binding somewhere else before I'd pull the rack. Having said that, it's really not that tough to do - if you have everything else disconnected.

Let me know if you need more photos of the area.

mike
'78 SC Wide Body, '81 Engine. M&K 1in2 Out, Carrera Sways, ER F&R rear monoballs, ER control arm bearings, ER spring plate bearings, turbo tie-rods, ER strut brace, Tarret Drop links, Bilstein custom-valved shox, Rebel Racing bump-steer kit, 22mm F, 28mm R TBs. Rebuilt calipers, new wheel bearings.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)