View Single Post

Any 930 owners that used to be a 993 owner ?

I should first mention that I dont have alot of seat time in other pcars other than my own so I dont have much to compare to.

Just wondering if there are any now 930 owners that used to be a 993 owner?

A little history, right now I have a 95 RWD 993 that is supposed to be a turbo project car with a few nice mods but could still be used as a daily driver.

Mods are-
1- re geared 6 speed g50 with GT3 cupcar limited slip diff
2- Wevo engine mounts
3-RS transmission mount
4- Gemballa springs/ stock shocks
5- RS light weight flywheel
6- 964 RS manual steering rack
7- urathane front suspension bushings

After driving the car for 2 weeks, yeah, only 2 weeks, I am feeling like this car is not the right car for my project. The car feels HEAVY and not very connected .... kinda rubbery. With the multi link rear suspension it almost does not feel like a rear engined car! It is incredible how stable the rear is and how much the feeling has changed from a torsion bar car at the same time. I do like the high limits of the 993 but at the same time I find my self wanting that old early car feel.

I have to be honest because my 73 911 S suspension wise with 30 year old torsion bars+ sway bars feels better TO ME than the 993 with mods, sure its not as stable or safe as the 993 but it feels like something is missing in the 993.

So my questions are -

1-Does my 993 need more suspension mods , sway bars ect...

2- When set up right does the 930 feel lighter than a 993?

3- Does the 930 really need a 5 or 6 speed conversion ? The 4 speed seems like a big minus, I like to be in the power band on small twisty country roads.

4- I know there are alot of guys here that have spent more $$ in mods on there 930's then it would cost to buy a 993. What fueled your decision to go with the 930

5- I was looking at the 965 then decided to pass because of the newer suspension, close to the same thing I have except for the rear of course .

Any advise or opinion from those who have had seat time in both 930 and 993 models would be really appreciated.

Thanks
BMW R75/7
Old 07-06-2008, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)