Thread: WOW Tst Drive
View Single Post

Removing the wastegate spring takes all of 15 minutes. You can probably find a stock one here on the board that someone will give you for free. Running 1 bar of boost on an otherwise stock engine isn't smart, unless you run a higher octane fuel. If it pings under acceleration, I'd be real careful. You do not want to buy one of these with engine damage.

The price is already lower than what you were originally thinking of paying. I think you need to decide if you actually want this particular car, or not. The price is secondary to whether or not you want this particular car. Sooner or later the owner will get tired of the negotiations and the car will be sold out from under you. Somebody will buy it. Not all buyers are educated about these cars. At face value, that price is cheap for an '88. Dirt cheap, in the eyes of someone new to these cars.

One of my 930's is a Euro model. For years it has been stated by all of the "experts" that a Euro car was worth less than a US car. Various reasons are trotted out, from insurance companies not wanting to insure it, to parts sourcing problems, difficulty getting it tagged and registered, yada, yada, yada. In fact, none of these things have been an issue for me, nor will they ever be. I suppose some people must lay awake at night worrying about this. I don't. In the same vein, maybe the salvage title bothers some people. If the car is sound, it doesn't bother me. I'd be more worried about the actual condition of the car than what somebody might think, years later, if you decided to sell it. You need to decide which is more important to you.

I doubt I'll ever sell my cars and I'll never get back what I have in them, which has been the case for every car I have ever owned, save for one. Guess what? I couldn't care less. I didn't buy any of them as an investment, I bought them because I enjoy driving them. Other people think they must always have less in a car than they could sell it for. I know a few wealthy guys that think this way and every car they own is crap, because the bastards are too tight to spend money on them. What's more important to you? It's your choice. All used cars are a potential risk, which is why they sell for less money than new ones.

At the end of the day, you need to determine if this car is mechanically sound and then decide to buy it or not. It's your money, not ours.

Good luck to you,
JR
Old 07-11-2008, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)