Thread: Andial Problem
View Single Post

off topic, but I have an Andial story.

I thought they would be interested in marketing my knock controller, so I made an appointment to see Deiter, must have been in '92.

My test car was a Ford EXP. To demo the unit, I had a bargraph gauge to show the amount of knock retard and a disable switch, so I could turn it off and make it ping. I had the initial timing cranked up to 25, was running it on 87 octane, and on top of that, it was a pretty hot day.

I drove Deiter around the area on surface streets. Every time I stepped on the gas, the knock retard gauge would light up and the unit would retard, preventing audible knock.

Deiter's comment was "It's retarding all the time."

Actually, it was retarding only when it needed to. I should have let him drive it, with the unit disabled, then turned it on again, but I couldn't believe he didn't understand what was happening. I guess the cat got my tongue, because I didn't respond. I dropped him off at the shop and never saw him again.

I later heard that they tuned on the dyno with the aid of knock headpones, so I dropped in to show them my Knock-Finder, but they weren't interested.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)