View Single Post

Have Blue: I drive this car a lot. As you know these cars wear rears out 2 or 3:1 to the fronts, so unless I get prepared to have to toss the fronts every time I need new rears, I need to find a brand in both sizes that will be around for a while. Get this: as a workaround, the guy at Discount Tire suggested that I get something else to drive and keep this car for weekends so I don't wear out the rears so fast. Cretin!

krasuskyp: Okay, here's the story: 5:15 AM on a weekday, northbound on the 405, I was booming along in the fast lane (90+ MPH) trying to get to Malibu ASAP (my video crew was waiting for me -- shooting started at 6:00).

As I am approaching the 105 cloverleaf (by LAX), at the last split second I saw a very large carriage bolt laying perpendicular to my direction of travel. Twitched the wheel, and my front tire missed it, but my left rear nicked it. Next thing I felt/heard was a fast-growing vibration and rumbling sound. The car was starting to wander and it was obvious the tire was gone. I had to quickly get across five+ lanes of fast morning traffic in a big hurry. I ended up here in no-mans land:

Got out to smell burning rubber. The tire was smoking, and the sidewalls were almost non-existent, but it was still on the rim. A few more seconds at speed and it'd have come off.

I put on the collapsible spare only to find the OE compressor was dead! Odd -- it worked the last time I checked it. Turns out later one of the brushes had fallen out. The assembly line in Mexico used tape to hold in the brushes!?

Oh man, I'm screwed. Cars/semis flying past. Two CHP go by w/o stopping. Then ten minutes later, Los Angeles Metro Freeway Patrol stopped and pumped my spare. He refused a $20 tip.

Back to the subject of the thread: I had my PA call all the tire shops in the Santa Monica/Malibu area and not one had a replacement in stock (Dunlop SP Sport 9000). Stranded 90 miles form home, I had to grab a hotel and wait for a special order to arrive the next day.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)