View Single Post
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
There will be no harm by removing the throttle bypass valve (mine's been gone for 6 years) but the car will drive differently. The RPMs will drop quicker any time the clutch is pressed. I modulate the throttle purposely to keep the revs up between shifts. You don't have to, I just like it better that way.
Bottom line - if you don't like the way it drives then put it back. Everything CIS is reversible.
I read this on the current BOV Vac Module Delete thread.
Along with other comments here, it spurred me into action tonight to sort out my suspect throttle bypass valve (AKA AAR).
I was going to swap it with one from another car but based on Rarly's experience above, I decided to replace it with a bit of broomstick instead!
The difference is amazing. Revs drop just nicely instead of hanging there at a zillion rpm for what seems like minutes.
After I had test-run my wooden AAR, I went back in and checked the tension on the inlet manifold bolts as suggested by Rarly and found that all were very light. To get up to 18ft-lb I had to go between half and one turn on all bolts. This didn't make any further difference to driveability but it clearly indicates that this is a potential trouble spot.
I couldn't see or hear any air leaks and all other hoses look OK so it seems that problem is fixed.

Don't panic - I will replace the broomstick with something more appropriate now that I know the solution.
Thanks for your help,
Bill

Old 07-15-2008, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)