Thread: So Close
View Single Post

So Close

Forgive my daily posts but this is like therapy for me
So today I set off with a goal to get the BOV installed and maybe even the valve covers. The Porsche gods must have been smiling because that was accomplished with time to spare. I did not break anything but somehow I cut the cr@p out of my finger and dripped the proverbial blood and sweat on the valve covers. Instead of wiping it off I left it there as a sacrifice to the gods of starting up on the first try and not spewing oil or gas all over the place...

After that I figured I would attempt to begin the mating dance of the motor and tranny. Everything got lubed up just like they tell you to on the late night Dr. Ruth shows...

I have to say... that was the most difficult insertion I have had the pleasure of making. It just did not want to go together. Tighter then the first (use your imagination)... I finally had to get my 130 lb wife to lean on the front of the motor and keep it from walking across the garage floor any further (I really need to make some friends that know how to work on cars too). After about 45 minutes something, somewhere in the universe decided that I had said a sufficient number of swear words and I finally saw the bolts peek through the tranny holes. So I used the nuts to finish the mating ritual.

After I got the starter installed and wired up I decided to push my luck and install the fan belt. It seems a little loose, but only time will tell on that one. I only have two washers between the pulley halves so I really don't have much to play with if I have to take out some more slack (the floor was nice and clean before I started this project three months ago).

Anyway, that is all for tonight. Tomorrow I will attempt to install the engine bay sound pad, new heater hoses and clean up the engine bay a little bit. Who knows, maybe I will even get an engine installed at some point??? Anyone free tomorrow afternoon to hold the fire extinguisher???
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 07-16-2008, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)