View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
Not all GM cars but I find Vettes cheaply built cars, yes. I can understand using cheap parts in order to lower the price thus delivering more bang for buck. But if GM builds a car using cheap parts and design it in such way that it takes 12 hours to remove a heap of parts just to replace the cheap part they surely shot themselves in the foot.

First: customer is pissed off that his half-a-cost-of-a-Poorscha but still substantially priced sports car is broken during the warranty.

Second: Dealership mechanic is forced to remove complete rear subframe and transaxle, disconnect diff cooling, all fuel pipes and take down the fuel tank to remove 20$ sender, then put it all back. And that mechanic must be payed...by guess who? GM. A price inflicted for this warranty issue is probably much greater than eventual savings made by using the cheap part. And we are just talking direct costs.

There is another GM car. SAAB 9-5. Now check this: they reuse SAAB 9000 engine which is bullet-proof. Some beancounter comes to fantastic idea to save few pennys by removing the oil level sender from the engine. And to make matters even worse, they make piston rings thinner in order to improve the mileage. The result: lot's of blowby trough piston rings, no warning light when oil is consumed and lot's and lot's of warranty issues with destroyed engines due to oil-sludge.

Saving to remove oil-lever sender per car: 20 bucks?
Loss due to warranty issues and badwill: god knows how much.

At least it's easy to change it's fuel sender: you remove the back seat and voila, there it is
I agree..
I have never been in a Vette that feels well built ..
I thikn your statement is SOPT ON Goran
Old 07-21-2008, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)