Thread: SC Cam Question
View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
Why didn't Porsche run the 964 cams in the first place? I know these were later model year cams 1989 or so, but they were probably under development before that by a few years.
Or at least they could have run 911SC cams becuase both the cars were in production during the same time period?
Makes me wonder if there is something being overlooked? Valve cooling maybe?
If upgrading why not go 964 and get the better option?
I ran 964 cams in my 911SC and they were a good upgrade. Made power all the way to 7000rpm unlike the SC cams.
The Special Wishes cars were in fact equipped with the SC cams and K27-7006. So, Porsche was aware of the advantages of the higher lift and slightly longer duration cam. Like you said, the 964 cam was under development as was the more efficient 965 IC. The other thing to consider is the pairing of cams to the turbocharger. The 3DLZ turbo and 930 cams complimented each other fairly well. Neither did much below 3500RPM and then....bang, boost! Then they ran out of breath around 5000. Very much like an on/off switch.

I'm sure there were other reasons, such as unknown engine longevity/warranty issues.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 07-23-2008, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)