View Single Post

Garage
Josh:
I'll throw my 2bits in re:Bursch. I think Bursch was the first with the so-called extractor exhausts which, when used on an early 356 (or 40hp VWs) actually gave a little more power (maybe a placebo from the sound, but it sure seemed to work.) As Green & JMB have mentioned, it's all a matter of matching up the exhaust as part of a system. Formula B/C guys, for example, would tune their motors top to bottom; i.e. changes of the intake velocity stacks required re-calculating everything downstream until the exhaust left the pipe. For a rock-stock 912, the factory setup is probably the best, as those Porsche whiz-kid engineers always seem to perfectly tune every part of the motor to everything else.
I think that due to tighter noise restrictions, Bursch has cut back on some of their louder systems (912E glass-pack for example) and what has to be their sweetest sounding system of all - the 3-muffler early 911 system.
p.s. Silver 912E: I'm not sure that Dansk made a 912E OEM type system. I had a Bursch on mine only because there was no other choice at the time - Bursche $250; factory $1140 (if you could even find one.)
Old 03-11-2002, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)