View Single Post

Stock 915 clutch isn't enough for a stock RoW 930, it'll slip. A Sachs "Power Clutch" is basically a stock clutch (but hand-picked to be in the top 10% of stock clutches).

I just ran a Sach competition pressure plate (marked "ZF Sachs Race Engineering 3032 015 399") with a stock friction plate for 10,000 miles or so. No discernable slip even max torque up hills.

However, the stock friction plate was very low on material when torn down. Just replaced with a Sport plate, #88 1861 845. It's very different to the stock plate - much "grabbier". You can still slip the clutch, but the window between "in" and "out" is much smaller.

These are good threads on beefing the 915 The "How to beef up a 915" thread. Parts and costs?
sick 915/differential - diagnosis in progress

Even if you don't launch hard, take care to spin up the motor in N/A mode to over 3,000 before rolling on the throttle hard in 2nd etc. this is what a 330RWHP 930 can do to a 915 2nd gear:

Chris Powell said he'd never seen one fail like that before. I'm hoping it was just because it was an old gearset (stamped '72) and had probably had a hard life in a competition box before I got it. Time will tell...

That's an expensive paperweight right there. But the 915 shifts real nice with new synchros, sleeves, WEVO coupler etc.

Last edited by spuggy; 07-26-2008 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Fixed URL
Old 07-26-2008, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)