View Single Post

A boost leak at idle will show up as a vac leak.
I think your best option is to try pressurising the system, and see where the gas is going.
If your waste gate is opening at 10 psi that is about right - 0.7-0.8 bar. So, how did you get 10 psi pressure for the waste gate.
I tested mine by removing it and pressurising it thru the same line you used - ie the one from the intercooler. Had a pressure gauge in line. You can see the valve begin to lift. That would be the simple way to eliminate that - pressurise it and see how much gas you loose before it hits boost pressure.
But this all suggests a big leak.
So, you could try pressurising via the inlet rubber elbow like my pic. This will take in the whole intake system. You have to flip the elbow around to do this, and make a up a piece like in pic - plastic plumbing hardware.
So, you could hit on the wastegate if you want to remove it and check it first (15 mins to remove), or try pressurising whole system.
Waste gate might be worth a shot. less time involved than option B.
If you try pressurising whole engine, you need spanner on the fan nut to rotate. There is some valve overlap so you will loose gas at exhaust if in wrong spot. There are pressure peaks/troughs. You may need to rotate say 30 deg to pick up a peak - no overlap.
Alan
Old 07-26-2008, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)