Thread: No boost
View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Brian,
Yes it's all stock.. the waste gate has one of those little mufflers on it so no doesn't go into the muffler. I'll certainly double check the seals , but my experience is that the engine won't run if there's not a good seal from turbo-intercooler.
Any chance of the turbo going bad ? what would those symptoms be ?
If you have bad leaks between the intercooler and turbo you in effect have a massive vacuum leak under idle.....causing poor running or no idle. You are correct.
I would remove the wastegate and see how the valve surface looks. It is possible you have a piece broken off of it or dirt/carbon has prevented it from closing. Also, your rubber diaphragm may be slightly torn allowing some boost build up or the spring could be broken. Once the wastegate is off the car you can tear into it to check.
Be careful as the spring tension for stock 0.8 bar boost spring is about 90-100lbs force so when you undo the 6 little bolts around the flange that holds the wastegate halfs together have it locked down in a vise or press or you will be making a trip to the dentist.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 07-28-2008, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)