View Single Post

Greetings Nathan, Here is a trick for young players. #6 is the gasket in lower right of pic. You can almost make out the problem from the pic. There are 12 gaskets - top and bottom of 6spacers. They are all the same - at least that is what I was sent. They have an internal eccentricity to accomodate the injector for the lower gasket. So there is only one way to fit the lower gasket. The upper gaskets also have this eccentricity - but no injector. #6 was oriented wrongly - it needed to be flipped over. The eccentricity missed the base of the manifold (not the spacer) by about 1mm. There were one or two others the same, but they had located close enough they had full contact with the manifold base. Altho you can place them any which way on top of the spacer, and have full gasket contact, the same does not apply to the manifold. There is only one way the top gasket will definitely seal completely. Instead of plonking them on top of the spacer, this time, I oriented them on the inverted manifold, to correct position, then transposed them on to the spacer. The engine definitely is running better, and #6 was one of the cylinders constantly giving me grief.
At first installation of new spacers/gaskets I pressure tested, and no leaks. My problems persisted, and I subsequently pulled all that gear out again, looking for issues. I resealed with silicone second time around, having no more gaskets and 2-3 wks delivery. I do not remember if I leak tested second time around, but finding no issues, I may not have.
The car is running better, and starting better, on all 6 but the AFR problem persists, as it has from day 1.
Regards
Alan
Old 07-28-2008, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)