View Single Post

Garage
My car was built for GT1R class racing...I just happen to be driving it on the street for now. It scaled out at 2200 when it was corner weighted last season.

Weight savings measures are very extensive -

-Started with a 1977 chassis - stripped to bare metal and acid dipped. No sound deadening.
-No street comforts: no heat, no A/C, no stereo, no interior (floors are painted same color as exterior), carbon dash, Sparco race seats, 6pt harnesses.
-Exterior weight savings - glass hood, flares, nose, base wing element. Carbon banana wing, lexan windows all around except windsheild.
-Engine converted to Motec EFI with lightweight mil spec harness, plastic intake manifold
-935 aluminum front suspension
-BBS magnesium race wheels
-Fuel safe aluminum gas tank

Really 2200lbs for a early chassis race car is not that remarkable. My shop built a 935 replica on an earlier 912 chassis that weighs just over 2000lbs race ready. My friend's DP 930 weighs 2450 and that car has real seats, carpet, stereo, heat and AC, etc.

My car still has factory steel doors, so going to full carbon would be a substantial savings, but would require that I extend the cage forward for safety reasons. So probably save over 100lbs on the doors but add back 50lbs worth of cage tubing. Beyond that I could get rid of the passenger seat and hardware (20lbs) and do really exotic things like titanium halfshafts, etc.

I built my car off a 1977 chassis for 2 reasons: 1) the 80s 930 chassis are heavier and 2) a 1977 makes it easier to get a car like this on the road.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)