View Single Post

I have no idea as to hp- This was in the relatively early days of getting more hp out a turbo's. The largest intercooler at the time was the garretson/ andial unit and we knew that was not enough. We used 3.2 heads, 934 cams, 3.2 intake manifold and welded bosses on top of each log. I had a real 934 fuel distributor (the one with the alloy cone instead of a plate) set low in back of the passenger side chain box with a simple screen to keep the large debris out.
We ran 3 fuel pumps per circuit x 2 with a 27 gallon cell (when you are out in the desert there are no pit stops) for supply. Though we were doing this from our shop, it was still a shoestring effort. Dan at AIR was kind enough to help us with left over front bodywork from one of newman's 935 (yeah PLN !) as long as i bought the rear parts from him

So the car was fairly slippery, if porous. If i had to guess? 600-620 ? the cis unit could only flow so much and we had the pressures set to really dump fuel into the motor. The flames on let off were not Smokey the Bear friendly

Those slightly curved side rockers you see on the 935's? VERY much there for a reason, one year we took a nice line into a long curve at about 140 and the car drifted a LOT more than expected. This was without. Next event we had them. Not the kind of excitement i was craving for

We found out later that a belly pan would help in a subsequent west to east La Carrera Classica- gave us much better stability and confidence

So the car was

We taped up all the gaps on the front end, blocked half the oil cooler opening, and even taped the plastic door windows shut. Even so, the myriad series of little holes and gaps left over were enough to pressurize the front compartment so the flip over gas flap cover (aluminum plate on a hinge) was standing straight up at any speed over 160 ! The thin plexi side windows were bowed inwards. Important lesson when setting up a race car; porsche put all those seals and plugs there for a purpose
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 08-06-2008, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)