Thread: high oil temps
View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
high oil temps

I just got back from a DE at the Glen and was experiencing high oil temps than I like to see. My car is a 79 930 with the Carrera style oil cooler in the front fender and the thermostat fan controller coming on at 210 degrees.
After 4 laps I was up at 250 degree on the gage with the fan running continuously.
I even ran one of those fiberglass scoops in place of the front turn signal lens to get more air in there as well as removing the front headlight and cutting holes in the headlight bucket.
I really am trying to avoid running a central mount cooler as I don't wanna loose the lower spoiler and start adding fiberglass and paint costs to my problem.
Now my thoughts were to run some sort of water mist system to the front cooler supplied off the windshield washer reservoir.
I figure I could run water thru hoses in the trunk thru the fender and have some nozzles aimed to spray a mist on the cooler surface.
Anyone ever try this and how much reduction in temperature did they see?
Am I overlooking anything?

I know Subaru has a similar water mist sytem for the turbo intercooler on the STi but don't know how well it works.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 08-08-2008, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)