View Single Post
Ornery Bastard

Spring coming, preliminary info for tranny work needed

In a month and a half, I'll be back together with my 914. Hopefully she won't be too terribly upset at having to set all winter. Given the amount of salt on Ohio roads, I think she know's it's better to have sat covered in the barn.

Anyway, the transmission needs work, 1st and second gear synchros are gone. Almost completely gone. 3 second 1-2 upshifts. It's pretty much impossible to shift cleanly into 1st gear if the car is moving at all. So I know that at the very lest I'll have to replace the synchro rings, most likely the synchro hubs and dog teeth too.

Anyone have experience with this? I'd like to get a ballpark estimate of how much this will cost just for planning. Worst case scenarios would be nice to know about. Also, should I fix the tranny first, or put in a new rear floorpan first? The frame is solid, no flex, and the front half of the floorpan is nice, new, and solid (had been replaced shortly before I bought the car about 6 months ago).

Thanks in advance everyone.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 03-16-2002, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)