View Single Post
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM744 View Post
I regret if I made you feel the least bit dumb!
Most people neither understand nor appreciate the importance of rotating, reciprocating or unsuspended mass. Our roadwheels are both rotating and unsuspended, and are HEAVY due to the large stresses. Wheel weight affects acceleration, deceleration, and turn-in response directly, and secondarily affects traction.
To imagine a heavy vs lighter wheel, ask yourself if it's easier to dribble a lightweight basketball vs a heavy medicine ball. It's much easier to stop and push back down the lighter ball, as well as guide it. Likewise the heavier wheel will want to continue bouncing UP when it hits a bump, rather than being held to the pavement by the suspension. Does that make sense?
Hey don't worry! It's just that I thought about it and didn't come up with an explanation. Maybe if I looked at wheels side by side (I have a spare set of 16" and 17" wheels in my shed) I might of saw it

I ran some 17" turbo twists on my carrera many years ago. I noticed the fronts were much heavier as the car felt like it was 4WD when cornering compared to the 16" Fuchs. What I mean is that I could actually feel the wheel not wanting to slow down when the car went tight like it did with the lighter wheels.
It was a bit like one of the toy cars I had as a kid, you pushed and it stored the energy by having a big wheel spinning inside of it.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 08-14-2008 at 10:08 AM..
Old 08-14-2008, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)