View Single Post

source of engine smoke?

Yesterday I was lucky enough to see some TV footage of my car on the track . I came 2nd in the race (only good one all day, in a car that was almost undriveable) from the rear, so the camera was following my car a lot. I could see a good deal of engine smoke and am wondering about the source.
The leakdowns are all 2-3%, the compressions within 5 psi on all 6.
I don't think it is rings. I wonder about valve guides (I have not had this engine apart). But normally I would expect that to occur on overun? while this occurs under load. So, I wonder about the Turbo. I have no real experience of turbos and never pulled one down. But they have the oil feed to the spindle. Is it possible to suck oil into the intake from here and feed it thru the engine.
If so, what would the symptoms be in the turbo. The spindle 'seems' tight - I can't get any play in it by feel.
It seems to happen when on boost - but will have to check the footage more closely. It certainly is not happening on idle - it is completely clean - but hard out there is a visible trail of blue smoke from the LHS of twin exhaust outlet.
Don't want to pull the engine down if the problem is not in there.
Regards
Alan
Old 08-15-2008, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)