View Single Post

Garage
Brett: I did the full rear wheel bearing R & R a few years back and it was a job that I thankfully mentally repressed. It's not enjoyable. Hopefully, someone else'll chime in if I mislead you with bad advise, but this is what I remember...

Briefly, the inner tapered roller bearing gets released from the hub assembly when you withdraw the hub assembly from the outside (wheel side). I used the SIR TOOLS press (p/n PEL-TOL-SIRB90-3) - purchased from Pelican. This tool didn't work perfectly on my 930 without some fiddling. But it works. Clarifying, when the tool is pulling out the hub assembly with the inner bearing cone originally PRESSED onto the hub, the tool is trying to pull the inner bearing cone against its mated race (cup) that's pressed into the trailing arm. As it's getting pulled on, the inner bearing cone isn't going through its race outta the car as the hub exits, so the the hub moves out and the inner bearing is left behind in the trailing arm with the inner seal.

During installation, with the hub out of the car, the outer seal SLIDES over the hub shaft to sit next to the axle flange, the outer bearing cone PRESSES onto the hub shaft, and the spacer sleeve SLIDES on. From the trans side of the trailing arm, I hand placed the inner bearing against its race and held it in the trailing arm by pushing in the inner seal. From the outside, the hub gets PRESSED into the inner bearing with the SIR TOOL (much easier than withdrawal). You have to center the shaft end (trans end) of the hub assy. into the inner bearing hole - just to get the press started pushing in straight. If you don't get it centered, the hub end will catch on the side of the inner bearing and push it and the inner seal right outta the trailing arm. This is easy to do!

The press will push the hub into the inner bearing until the bearing bottoms out against the spacer sleeve (I think?). Remove the tool. Check if your inner seal is sitting where you want it and SLIDE in the stub axle. This is a brief explanation of a more complicated task used in an effort to answer your question.

Fellow Pelicans, please feel free to correct/amend my convoluted observations.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)