View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compulsive View Post
Craig, this is quite a scary thought for those of us who have not yet tracked our 930s. Can you provide a description of the coolers that your 930 has?

My Euro 930 simply has hard oil lines looped in the left front fender. I assume this is the standard early 930 cooler configuration

My plan is to add a 24" x 5.5" x 2.25" oil cooler in the front spoiler but based on Criag's comments it sounds like this might be not nearly enough to keep the temps in check under hard use.

As a data point, if my oil cooler set up can keep the temp at or below 230F at the track in 85F weather I will be satisfied.

Here is a similar thread high oil temps
I am in the same boat as you guys but maybe a little further out in deeper waters. I originally had the OEM loop cooler in my 79 930. I removed that and installed the OEM Carrera cooler with thermostatic fan in its place. No issues on street driving. I also removed the turn signal light to get more air in the fender well.
Since I have added the K27S and tracked the car at The Glen last week in 85-90 degree weather, I was seeing 250 degree oil after only 4 laps. Needed to cool it down and ran easy the next 2 laps or 5 minutes and then let her idle for another 5-10 to cool off after each session.
In my opinion adding a front mount is the only solution to getting the oil in the ball park of 210-220 degrees max where you want to be. The scavenge oil pump should have enuff reserve as long as you run the 30mm lines from the factory and don't step down to AN-12 or AN-16.
I would have done this already but do not see any supplier of good quality lower valences for the front of the car to allow for the front mount cooler!
Anyone can recommend a supplier that will send me a valence that will not require extensive fitting and re fiberglass construction to make it flat and fit the fenders?
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 08-15-2008, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)