Thread: Cam Chains
View Single Post
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

I just finished this project this week.

The oversized idler sprocket from Jerry Woods were like jewelry, much like the adjustable cam sprockets from JB Racing. The idler sprockets even came with needle bearings rather than a bronze bushing.

The adjustable sprockets allowed me to dial in the cam timing with precision - this is taking into account the engine was still in the car and the cams have fairly high lift (GTII EVOs). In short, set the crank to TDC and use the cam nut to move the cam to the precise timing. Turn the crank one more revolution and do the other side. I've obviously skipped a couple steps, but its basically this easy.

Rather than install mechanical chain tensioners, I reinstalled the hydraulic carrera tensioners. With the oversized idler pulleys, the cam chains are now nice and tight, and the tensioners have lots of room to move.

Now that there is more tension in the chains, the engine is amazingly quiet. I also installed the smaller diameter cam spray bar adapter. Now my oil pressure is probably 10+ psi higher - 980 rpm is over 2 1/2 bar at operating temp and 3000 rpm is 4 1/2 bar.

Thanks again for the tip.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)