View Single Post

Nathan, I know nothing about a ball bearing in the oil feed line - I guess I should check. Is this the restrictor mentioned above. Can the turbo feed get excessive. (the oil pressure is 4+ bar at revs). Should there be a ball bearing sitting under the pressure switch - is this factory or after market?
Yes, it is blue smoke - oil.
If the top rings were gone, you would think it would show up in compression - after all - it is a compression ring?
I am topping it up during the day - usually put about 500 mls in it. I am topping it until the indicator gauge registers positive oil level under max acceleration. I noticed that often the indicator would drop to the bottom of gauge under full power. But not topping it right up.(It does have some annoying oil leaks from the cam seals too - which drop down onto the headers). But this is not the cause - you can't see any smoke until approximately it is on boost - ie many times it is running clean. I now have some video footage so can have a closer look.
Supposedly the engine had just been put back together when I got it, and the leakdowns etc look good - so I'm thinking the last possibility would be broken rings.
Looking for another cause. There is oil in the intake tract. I found it there in my post purchase strip down and posted a query. The answer was that this might be normal if driven hard?
Regards
Alan
Old 08-16-2008, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)